Sunday, April 12, 2015

Non-Epiphany



I’ve come to an epiphany having approached it over a few years, thus making it not really an epiphany at all. This strange non-epiphany is that I am a writer. I need to write. Writing is the only way that I have found myself to be able to create. To create is a fundamental human need, perhaps stemming from the image of God, and the perceived lack of any ability to do so has been one of my life’s greatest frustrations, sometimes leaving me forlorn. I don’t know how I came to possess the ability to write reasonably well, but it is all that I have. I know that it may seem cliché, but like a painter uses pre-made paints and canvas to quell the urge inside of them to bring an imperfect creation into an equally imperfect world, I too must use words that for the most part I did not create to bring into this world something imperfect and unique to me.
What if I have no words in mind to say? No subject to expound upon? I think that this is where I must change. Whereas before I may have given in and fallen into that aforementioned state of forlornness, now I must write anyway. For to be a writer, I must write by nature; the goal not to be prolific, but rather to assuage the creative itch.

God, please bless me.

No comments:

Post a Comment